1.) 10 Reasons why you’re better off without him….or her….or it.
My reasons why I am better off without it:
- It is slow.
- It is old.
- It generates enough heat in operation to warm the whole house.
- It generates more noise than a jet idling by your ear.
- It uses proprietary accessories.
- It is "No longer supported" hardware.
- It is "No longer supported" software.
- The optical drive is broken.
- The built in Ethernet is broken.
- It burns more electricity per year than the cost of a modern replacement.
- It weighs more than 150 lbs.
Have you figured out what it is? It is my old domain backup system manufactured by the no longer extant Sun Microsystems. It was top of the line back in the late 90's when I acquired it, but today its job can be done faster by a cheap Intel box. The only bad thing is that the beast has been reliable as heck. For the last 11 years it has had less than 10 minutes of unplanned downtime. Its replacement box averages that much downtime per month.
So long old friend.