Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Indian Lake


A clue to just how old I am - I remember The Cowsills doing that song in my formative years on {*gasp*} AM radio around the time of my first love crush. For some reason today just felt like that late summer/fall when the song was big in my teenage life.

I remember my sophomore speech class mime presentation using their version of the song Hair as the backdrop. That particular ordeal sticks in my mind even now close to forty years later. It was at the beginning of my metamorphosis from an absolutely shy introvert terrified of being in front of the class to the devil may care extrovert I am today. I had a "very important teacher" in my life for that class (Hi Ms. Dolan). The combo of Mr. Blandin from Jr. HS and Ms. Dolan from Sr. HS greatly impacted who and what I am today. Thank you to both of them. I hope that everyone has the good fortune to have had at least one "very important teacher" in their life. In honor of mine, I give you a couple of verses of Hair:

She asks me why
I'm just a hairy guy
I'm hairy noon and night
Hair that's a fright
I'm hairy high and low
Don't ask me why
Don't know
It's not for lack of bread
Like the Grateful Dead
Darling

Gimme head with hair
Long beautiful hair
Shining, gleaming,
Streaming, flaxen, waxen

Give me down to there hair
Shoulder length or longer
Here baby, there mama
Everywhere daddy daddy

Hairhairhairhairhairhairhair
Flow it, show it
Long as God can grow it
My hair

Let it fly in the breeze
And get caught in the trees
Give a home to the fleas in my hair
A home for fleas
A hive for bees
A nest for birds
There ain't no words
For the beauty, the splendor, the wonder
Of my...

Hairhairhairhairhairhairhair
Flow it, show it
Long as God can grow it
My hair

Now all you have to do is picture a 6'5" 300lbs.+ teenage football player with short hair miming to this while embarrassed to with in an inch of his life in front of a class of {*gasp*}, {*choke*} girls. Still with me? Hope you are as embarrassed as I was that day!

If you feel a sudden wave of nostalgic and need to listen to The Cowsills now, scurry on over to here and listen away. That's what I'm doing even as I write. Strange how an acid rock aficionado like me has these lapses of good taste to listen to some bubble-gum rock. Oh well.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

You know you want to ... so just do it!!!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin