Wednesday, October 15, 2008

And now ...


The city council meeting last night was not too bad.  It ran a little long, but it didn't turn into a 6 hour marathon like they sometimes were before I became mayor. Thank heavens for small miracles!

Today was a Wednesday, and like every other Wednesday, I have a show on one of the local radio stations early in the morning. I am a brave soul and take all callers on an open mike (live, no less) about issues or complaints in the city.  Generally tends to be pretty quiet since things got under control a few years ago, so now I mostly use it to keep the community appraised of what happened in the council meeting and the issues of interest to the area. I am not noted as being one to call a spade a "portable entrenching tool" and my approach seems to work well with the people here.

The League of Women Voters gave a program on the ballot issues this year at a local church this evening. I was there to address the charter amendments for the city on the ballot this year. This is one of the longest ballots in local history with initiatives and proposals covering 46-59 and L-O on the state part of the ballot and a similar number of items related to the city charter on the municipal side. Add in the presidential, congressional, and county commisioner races and the ballot is beyond hefty.

One major concern is that people may not be able to complete their ballot in the statutorily allotted 15 minutes. We are all encouraging people to take their crib notes with them to the polls, utilize early voting, and use mail in ballots. Because of the presidential race, local congressional races, and all of the above, voter participation may be very high (some predictions in the >90% of all registered voters range.) This should be interesting. I'm certainly glad I'm not a county clerk who has to make sure all this runs smoothly and certify the results rather shortly after the vote.

I'm off to make my crib sheet for the election before I forget all the good information from the League analysis. {*grin*}

1 comment:

  1. "SMALL MIRACLES" by Askin Ozcan
    ISBN 1598001000 (Outskirts Press)

    http://www.outskirtspress.com/smallmiracles

    Available at 200 internet bookshops
    and through 25.000 bookstores globally.

    ReplyDelete

You know you want to ... so just do it!!!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin