Wednesday, December 2, 2009

The 60's Return

This week's Writer's Challenge from Mama Kat offers these finger tickling topics:
1.) Verse by verse, dissect a favorite song you had in 7th grade.
2.) List 5 must have gifts you are purchasing for a loved one this Christmas.
3.) Open letter to Santa Claus.
4.) Describe how you would celebrate the holidays if it was totally up to you and money was not a factor.
5.) Book review time! What winter read has you snuggled in and turning pages?
So off we go to the writing races.


#1 - I did this before in a different context, but to refresh your memory, one of my favorites from the psychedelic 60's was In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida by Iron Butterfly. This was my anthem in the late sixties and early seventies. Even today, it is not an uncommon occurrence to find me listening to the 17+ minute original version of the song. But the lyrics? Well ... it is with a deep sense of guilt and quasi-shame that I admit to loving a song that runs for 17+ minutes with these lyrics:
In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida, honey,
don't you know that I love you?
In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida, baby,
don't you know that I'll always be true?

Oh, won't you come with me
and take my hand?

Oh, won't you come with me
and walk this land?

Please take my hand!

-Repeat-

~solos~

-Repeat-
So there you have it, a song that it is eminently OK to not listen to the lyrics in any detail. It is hard to explain how moving and powerful this song is to me, how evocative of a certain mood and time, and then to have to present those rather pointlessly pitiful lyrics is the ultimate letdown. The only analysis I have of the one complete verse is to love and be true - which is pretty good advice.


#2 - This is a non-starter since we aren't planning on any gift exchange this year. I suppose I could reply nothing five times in a row. {*grin*}


#3 - My open letter to Santa:
Dear Santa:

Please bring peace and joy and a cure of want to all those you touch in your journey. Any other gift is superfluous.


Thanks,
       Dan


#4 - A trip to somewhere nice and sunny, staying in luxurious surroundings. Golfing daily in the morning and then to the beach or the forest or even just sight seeing and shopping in the afternoon, followed by going out each evening to a new and different place to dine. The best of all worlds and a complete escape from real life. (Hawaii comes to mind, but I am sure there are other destinations that offer similar amenities and beauty.)


#5 - Right now I am re-reading some of the Wodehouse tales featuring Jeeves. I always find them wryly amusing and fun to read. On the detective side of things, I am reading some 'new to me" books by Elmore Leonard (Tishomingo Blues) and Janet Evanovich (To The Nines). Somewhat less than my normal fare and completely lacking in my beloved Sci-Fi, but I've been reading less the last few weeks than is my normal wont.

7 comments:

  1. I am sure your desire for #4 becomes stronger as winter unleashes the usual cold of January and February in your neck of the woods.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! You did ALL of them...What a man!


    Creative....Like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that was my favorite letter to SAnta yet...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was just listening to Ina Gadda Da Vida yesterday while doing some writing. The drum rhythyms are great for productivity, but you're right, lyrically not much there :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Advice from a woman to another woman's husband: Buy your wife a gift AND make sure it's not practical.

    You're welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had to ask my husband how "In Gadda Da Vida" went, because I thought it was an opera...

    Man, I gotta tune up my late 60s-70s music library!

    ReplyDelete

You know you want to ... so just do it!!!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin