Physics is to mathematics what sex is to masturbation.
-- Richard P. Feynman
Any dyed in the wool physicist will not only agree but cheer wildly for the aptness of the quote.
I was reminded of the quote because of an afterward on an Abstruse Goose cartoon that presented the quote and then supplied the rather tongue in cheek mathematicians answer - "And your point is ..?" Now anyone who has spent much time with me knows that two phrases that I use often are "Are you done blithering yet?" and "And your point is?" The cartoon struck me as great because it used a favorite quote from one of my heroes and poked at my own foibles. What more could one ask for from an afterward to a good cartoon?
I will leave you with a few other Feynman quotes that only get better with time:
- Physics is like sex. Sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it.
- I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong.
- There are 10^11 stars in the galaxy. That used to be a huge number. But it's only a hundred billion. It's less than the national deficit! We used to call them astronomical numbers. Now we should call them economical numbers.
- If you thought that science was certain - well, that is just an error on your part.
- The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.
Richard P. Feynman