Monday, May 10, 2010

A Rambling Post to Prevent Three Short Ones

Earlier in the week, I got a phone call out of the blue from someone I hadn't spoken to or thought of since high school some 38 years ago. It took me a moment to get over the shock, but then we visited for a bit and he got around to the real point of the call - he was trying to locate a mutual third acquaintance from high school since he had decided to resume an earlier career in photography and the mutual friend was a professional photographer and cameraman. I had to disappoint and tell him that the last time I had visited with our mutual acquaintance was 20 years ago. At that time he was a camera man for CNN and we were both based in LA, but I hadn't heard much from him since leaving LA.

Saturday was the mother-daughter lunch at the church, so L and MIL had a good time here while I toiled away getting the packets for tonight's board meeting done. Then in the afternoon our friend came over to visit and them take us out to supper. G, the friend, was in town for the sad task of assisting his brother and sister arrange hospice care for their mother. It is sad; their mother has reached the point where she recognizes none of the kids and is in that petulant imaginary baby stage of advanced dementia. G and I have known and hung out with each other since grade school, more than 45 years ago. So we know each others moms well - we spent many a supper eating at each others house and driving G's older sister crazy as kids. Now we have both lost our fathers and are a part of what my cohort calls the fatherless generation since we are at the age where most of our fathers are gone. Before too long we will become the parent-less generation as our mothers reach that event horizon. It is sad to contemplate.

Anyway, G and L and I spent the time visiting and enjoying catching up with each other. G lives in the south now, working as an engineer. We see each other once or twice a year. His older brother retired from the IRS and moved back here to the childhood home several years ago and his sister has lived here all her life, so in addition to visiting his mom, he comes back to see his siblings and along the way we get a chance to visit. It is amusing how clearly I remember our first meeting in fifth grade - I still see that same youngster in my minds eye when I think of G - even though we are now both grizzled oldsters with white beards and a lot less hair. And we still  remember doing stupid things together back then that would result in long-term hospitalization now. It's always good to be reminded of the time when you were fearless and invincible. {*grin*} Heck, G was my wingman and chauffeur the night L and I first went out and he was a groomsman in our wedding. He just can't escape us!

For Mother's Day, we had both mom and MIL over for lunch. The day was beautiful, in the 70's and calm. So after the guests departed home, L and I and Molly went for walk in the park followed by a relaxing nap (See, I told you we were oldsters!). In any case, as the evening wore on, the winds came up and blew hard enough to move the patio furniture about and knock over the basketball hoop, etc. Generally a miserably windy evening with the howling and rattling windows. Made L grouchy and Molly needy. What a combo.


This morning the wind was gone, but L and Molly had to squeeze out the back door to move the furniture out of the way so they could fully open the door. I got the task of setting the basketball hoop back up since L cannot lift it. And of course we had to clean up the bird nests and eggs and little hatchlings blown out of th trees and killed by the wind. The wind made me curious so I looked at the weather forecast for the week. Wednesday is forecast to reach a high in the low 40s and snow! So much for spring. Of course it is supposed to be back into the mid-70s by Saturday. I just love Colorado weather!

Enough for now. Time to enjoy the grey drear before it starts heading for the cold and rain and snow.

5 comments:

  1. I hope the nests that fell were inactive! When I hear the word hospice, I'm instantly saddened. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you had a good Mother's Day. I'm not part of the fatherless generation, but am a part of the fatherless club. My husband has already lost both his parents and is only 45. Makes one look at life a little differently when forced to live it without them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think one is never too young for a nap.

    We had strong winds here and had fun (ok, not) cleaning up the results of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, snow? STILL? I thought it was cold here! Good luck with that 70's weather.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nevada is just like Colorado: 70F yesterday; 95F forecast for Saturday. And windy! Happily we don't get all the snow you guys do.

    Nice that your friend has family to watch over his mom in the nursing home. It is MANDATORY! We visited my mom one day and she was sitting in the main tv room with no pants; just a blanket over her lap. Had dementia for 9 years; the last 2.5 years were under hospice. It's an awful disease; makes you thankful when they finally pass away.

    ReplyDelete

You know you want to ... so just do it!!!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin