Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Protect Me - Please?

Time once again for Mama Kat's Writer's Challenge. This week the prompts are:
1.) My animals are making me nuts.
(inspired by Jody from Take Me As I Am).


2.) List the 5 best things about the first day of school.
(inspired by Lane from Sneaky Daddy).


3.) Tell us about your crush.
(inspired by Lisa from Just Lisa, No Filler)


4.) How did you break it?
(inspired by Brandy from Not Your Average Soccer Mom)


5.) Show us a favorite summer craft.
(inspired by Kristin from The Way It Is)

Some fun topics this week!

I'm going with #1 and #3. #2 doesn't apply here and #4 I covered last week here. #5 isn't really applicable unless you really want to see pictures of my renowned noxious weed crop. Something about Russian thistle and bind weed and sand burrs just don't make for pretty pictures.

#1 - I don't even need to go for plural here. Just the singular Molly is doing fine in making sure my sanity is slowly ebbing away. Molly is one of those dogs that combine the best and worst in one anxious body. She has developed a strong dislike and fear of thunderstorms. The subsonic noise from the distant storms brings her slinking in to my office to lie on my feet, periodically standing up on my leg looking for a reassuring word and a rub of the head. There is nothing like the sudden appearance of a a shaking and panting dog in your face to make it hard to continue working. Especially when her breath smells a lot like she intentionally gargles with a solution of garlic and onion mixed with hint of ripe road kill when she is scared. In the thunderstorm this afternoon I captured this part of the normal sequence.
C'mon, lets get into the office so I can lie on your feet! Can't you hear that thunder?

See- I'm ready to lie still. In spite of my licking my nose like mad. (It's a nervous tic she exhibits when she hears the subsonics from thunder.)

I'm just going to lie here on your feet and keep my head down.

Look, I'm off your feet and ready to go lay in the sun since the storm is gone. Are you going to stay here in case I need to hide again? If I don't hear anything for the next fifteen minutes, I may even stop licking my nose for you.

So here she is laying in the sun, recovering from the stress of the storm. Doesn't it make you want to rub her poor pitiful head?
In spite of the immense amount of fur she sheds on a daily basis, her neediness when thunder is in the area, and the fact that she snores at night, i find her oddly appealing. Maybe it is true love?

#3 - My first crush that I truly remember was in junior high school. Of course there had been Julie and Jackie and Beth and Kristi as I went from kindergarten through 6th grade. But then I hit a dry spell in the crush department until late middle school. That's when I fell into deep like and crush with Annette. Annette was an older woman who seemingly inhabited other worldly realms, but I just knew that we were perfect for each other. I fell asleep at night dreaming of Annette and all that we would do together someday. I day-dreamed through classes with Annette sitting in the front of my mind.

There was just one problem - I could see no way I was even going to be able to talk to Annette. For you see, Annette was a person who appeared only in TV reruns, the movies, and fanzines. For my first real crush was on Annette Funicello, the Mouseketeer par excellence, the star of Disney beach movies with Frankie Avalon, the girl of my dreams. I still remember her fondly, and she hasn't aged a bit!
So there you have it - another embarrassing admission of normalcy. {*grin*}

13 comments:

  1. Awww! It does make me want to rub her poor pitiful head! :)

    Oh, and I like the way you write!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Molly is such a cute dog! Awwwwwwww. I have a cousin named Molly Sue. I am going to send her an email and say good morning since your dog reminded me of her : )

    When we were young we didn't have a TV but we did have a VCR and my Mom would let us watch old Annette Funicello movies. I thought she was the coolest! I wonder how she is doing today. I will have to google and see : ).

    Happy Wednesday Dan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the comment about the smell of Molly's breath. Does it ever make you hungry? :-)

    I can see why you're so attached to her. Her need to be around you in a thunderstorm and her snoring -- she has real character.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Molly is adorable. What is it with dogs sitting on our feet. Both my Goldens do it and it hurts. Our second Golden is a rescue Golden so he is very skiddish, he's coming around though. Wine corks popping scare him, and when my kid comes screaming running down the hall. I love Annette. I think she was my dad's first crush too, and Ann Margret, I think. I would watch her beach movies as a kid, even the remake in the 80s with Lori Loughlin. Annette is fantabulous. Check out my blog to read about my crush if you get a chance {http://www.thebabblebubble.blogspot.com}
    Take care.
    -Kiki

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute dog. I have a cat who exhibits much the same fear of storms. She hides under my bed, because she just knows it's going to eat her.

    Missy

    ReplyDelete
  6. When you started this one I had a flash of Marly and Me go through my head, but your dog is much more behaved. I must say though, when I hear stories like these it makes me grateful that my dog is all of six pounds--he just can't cause as much trouble that way! And if he gets really obnoxious I can always pick him up and carry him away. My husband adores him though--there must be something about a man and his dog. . .

    ReplyDelete
  7. molly is too cute for words! I would totally give in and rough house and rub her belly while we're rolling on the ground. dogs just get to me like that.. :) stoppin in from MamaKats

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah I see you have a long haired dog also. I had no idea when I got my dog that they shed as much as cats if not more.
    But I can't imagine my life without my animals.

    Great post by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How can you resist that cute doggie face?

    Anette is pretty cute, too. Pineapple Princess!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah, I didn't see that coming! I'm sure you weren't the only one crushing on Annette!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ahh, Molly is a cutie! Funny tic that she has. She has that face that begs for love and affection.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Molly is adorable - even with her nervous nose-licking!! Isn't it funny how much we love our furry little friends, even when they drive us nuts??

    And I don't see anything embarrassing about your crush! She looks lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think you weren't alone in the Annette crush. I've heard that said by many a man before. And my dog HATES thunderstorms too. Cries like a baby. Poor thing.

    ReplyDelete

You know you want to ... so just do it!!!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin