Saturday, May 9, 2009

What I Learned ...

I saw one of the standard Mother's Day paeans in a newsletter the other day and was reminded how often the mushy sentiments in such articles leave a bit to be desired relative to reality. The newsletter version featured old standbys such as:
My mother taught me to MEET A CHALLENGE ... "What were you thinking? Answer me when I talk to you! Don't talk back to me!"

My mother taught me about ANTICIPATION ... "Just wait until your father gets home."

My mother taught me LOGIC ... "If you fall off that swing and break your neck, you're not going to the store with me."

My mother taught me ESP ... "Put your sweater on; don't you think I don't know when you're cold?"

My mother taught me HUMOR ... "When that lawn mower cuts off your toes, don't come running to me."

But I think that some more realistic teachings can be extolled. Thus I give you ...


Some of the Things I Learned From My Mother

My mother taught me THERE IS ALWAYS ROOM FOR ONE MORE ... "Just pull up a chair, you're always welcome to eat with us."

My mother taught me THERE IS NO TIME LIKE THE PRESENT ... "If you don't hoe the weeds now, they'll go to seed. Then you have a real problem."

My mother taught me IT IS BETTER TO GIVE, BUT LEARN TO RECEIVE WITH GRACE AS WELL ... "You've helped us so many times, let us help you now."

My mother taught me ABOUT PERSONAL HYGIENE ... "Wash under your arms! Someday you will want to lift your arms in public."

My mother taught me YOU NEED NOT DISCLOSE ALL THAT YOU KNOW ... "Yes I knew you and your brother broke the door. But you already felt bad enough about it so I didn't need to bring it up." And you'd be amazed at all the secrets that weren't actually a secret when you talk to your mother about those events years after the fact. {*grin*}

My mother taught me TO LOVE UNCONDITIONALLY ... "People can't help how they look, but they can change their heart. So love the heart and tolerate the rest."

In honor of mothers (and mother-in-laws) everywhere, may you all enjoy a

Happy Mother's Day

0 comments:

Post a Comment

You know you want to ... so just do it!!!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin